So guys, 2012 Summer Olympics are just a step away from us so here is a post dedicated to these events. Although we have posted some detailed posts about the current and the oldest Olympic Games too but in this post we are going to gather some random and interesting facts about previous Olympic Games.
15 Random Facts from Olympic History
- Official Olympic Flag was created by Pierre de Coubertin in 1914, with five interconnected rings while each ring symbolizing the five significant continents.
- Olympic Moto is “Swifter, Higher, Stronger” used since 1921.
- Olympic Torch was used in ancient Greek Olympics and is still in use in modern Olympic games, it was first used in modern Olympics in 1928.
- In Olympics opening ceremony the first team parade is that of Greece team, rest of the teams come in an alphabetical order.
- First modern Olympic Games were held in Athens in 1896, contestants competed in 43 events.
- Women Athletes were allowed in 1900 Summer Olympics to compete in event.
- Olympic Games of 1916. 1940 and 1944 were canceled due to World Wars.
- Unite States has is the highest number of Gold Medals in Olympic History, 1016 Gold medals in total.
- United States top the table in Olympics history medal list with a total of 2549 medals, where Soviet Union 1204 on second place and Germany 1099 on third place.
- Great Briton, France and Switzerland has participated in most number of Olympic events with 46 appearances.
- Michael Phelps won most gold medals in Olympics history with 14 gold Medals (6 Gold Medals in 2004 Olympics and 8 in 2008 Olympics) in Swimming.
- Russian Athlete Larisa Latynina has the most number of over all Olympic medals comprising of 18 medal, including 9 Gold, 5 Silver and 4 Bronzes. He won his medals in gymnastics.
- 2012 Olympics will be held in London from 27th July to 12th August 2012.
- This will be third time the England city will host the mega event prior to this games were held here in 1908 & 1948.
- 1908 Olympic Games took 187 days to last.