How many of you remember Jurassic Park? A movie based on the novel “Jurassic Park” by Michael Crichton.
According to the plot of the novel, a theme park named “Jurassic Park” had a lot of Dinosaurs that were cloned by DNA. Although it was a science fiction movie, it went viral and became popular all over the world among all ages. It could be called a super hit of it’s time.
This post is not about the fiction movie but rather is focused on the real dinosaurs and some facts about their evolution and disappearance from the surface of the earth.
What are dinosaurs:
Dinosaurs are a kind of reptiles that were found on earth since 230 million years ago during the Triassic period (a geological period that extends from about 250 to 200 million years ago) which is long before we came upon the scene as a species. They were found on land as well as oceans and some of them were also able to fly.
There were about 1,500 different species having different habits and natures. In fact, the world was full of dinosaurs and they were the dominant species, but of course they no longer exist on earth.
Among many different theories, there are three main explanations about their disappearance from the world.
- Frequent Volcanic Eruptions
- Abnormal climatic changes over a long period of time
- A large body hit the earth from space
Now some facts about dinosaurs that will stun you:
- There are three different dinosaur ages known as Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous Period.
- Seismosaurus was the longest dinosaur with the height of 165 feet while the heaviest was Arentinosaurus with a huge weight of 100 tons.
- There were several species of dinosaurs that were non-vegetarian or meat-eating but most of them were vegetarian and were quite happy to eat different plants and trees.
- The state of Colorado in the United Sates was home to many kinds of dinosaurs and many of the first dinosaur fossils were discovered in western Colorado.
- Camptosaurus was one of the smallest dinosaurs and had few skills to defend themselves so they were the favorite meal of meat-eating dinosaurs.
All of these facts are based on scientific studies and many, many fossils that are found by geologists and scientists. According to scientists, there are still many kinds of dinosaurs that are not discovered yet, but given the prolific nature of how long the dinosaurs reigned supreme here on earth , it is believed more discoveries are forthcoming as more fossils very likely will be unearthed.