All those who have ever played “Sonic the Hedgehog”, one of the most popular games by Sega. Do you still remember the “Mushroom Hill Zone” having hundreds of small and large mushrooms? Ok leave it, how many of you have eaten Mushroom once or more in life?
Today we are going to tell you many interesting things about these small and colorful species.
This beautiful creature is neither animal nor plant, it belongs to the kingdom of Fungi. It is the only part of fungus that is visible to naked human eye, in fact mushroom is the fruiting body of fungi. All types of mushrooms belongs to fungi but not all fungi are mushrooms and like other fungi they can grow anywhere in the world. Some other types of fungi are rusts, yeasts and slime molds.
Although mushrooms are one of the most eatable foods in the world but there are many types that are toxic and may cause death to humans. It has been observed that the poisonous Mushrooms are darker in colors and it is strongly recommended not to eat mushrooms if you have no knowledge of them.
Some Amazing facts about Mushrooms:
- They have been used in traditional medicines for thousands of years and are helpful in curing of many diseases.
- The largest discovered mushroom till date is the one with about 10 meters of height and its weight was half a ton, named as “Giant Fungus”. It was found in China in 2010.
- The eatable mushrooms are very low in calories and have no cholesterol, also they are free of fats so they are an ideal food.
- Portabella is a kind of mushroom that has more potassium than a banana.
- Mushrooms are 90% water.
- Mushrooms were called as ”food of the gods” by Romans and they used to serve them on festival and other special occasions.